It was two years ago today that we visited Olivet for the first time. Since that day, I have planned and anticipated the day I would transition from a Dragon to a Tiger. It has been a difficult transition, but it has become easier with time. God has blessed me with an awesome roommate, whom I am so grateful for. Making friends has been harder than I thought, but I am slowly meeting more people and life is getting easier. It has been difficult to be away from home-I was careful to never make statements such as "I cannot wait to get out of this town" or "Eff Pekin High." I reflect upon the four years I spent there and PCHS gave me a firm foundation and a place to grow and thrive as an individual. The people there nurtured me until I was ready to step out on my own and they did such a wonderful job preparing me. I will always be thankful for my high school years and all of the experiences that came my way. That being said, I love my small town but I thoroughly enjoy being so close to the city. I love getting on the Metra and exploring new things. After all, that's what college is all about, right? I came to Olivet intending to major in communications. After exploring my options and surfing careers in central Illinois, I learned that hardly any exist. I grew frustrated, confused, and well, just plain confused on what I was going to do with the rest of my life. People told me "Laura, college students change their mind five or six times before they decide what they want to major in." In my mind, I always told myself "No. I am not one of those kids who wander around aimlessly for three years, wasting their parent's money, their own time, and their own energy." Well ... here I am. Wandering around aimlessly, wasting my parent's money, wasting my time, and my energy. A couple weeks ago, I began investigating the nursing field and my options within medical professions. I was continually drawn to nursing. I called my mom and shared with her my feelings and that I was considering leaving the communications department at Olivet. After several long, lengthy conversations, my mom and dad gave me their blessing and told me they would support me no matter which direction I decided to go. After a lot of investigation and phone calls to various places, my heart was drawn to OSF in Peoria. Financially, it made sense to move back home and complete the general education requirements at ICC and then transfer to OSF. While God has been revealing these little "clues" to me over the past couple weeks and even days, I am amazed at what he is doing and I anticipate finding the "big treasure". After spending a lot of time in the Kelley Prayer Chapel, God granted me peace about my decision. Now, that doesn't mean I am not uncertain at times, but that's when my mom whispers to me "It will be alright". Sometimes, you just need your mom to tell you those things. So, I have peace. God has instilled in me a passion for helping hurting people. I have a passion to love people, care for them, and comfort them. So, I have peace and I have passion. I also have God's grace and love and mercy. Olivet has been so good to me and I am thankful for the experience I have been given to come here. I have learned to appreciate things in life and also have a greater appreciation for my mom, someone I took for granted when I lived at home.
I will finish the year at Olivet and then move back home at the end of the spring semester. I plan to take general ed courses at ICC for one year, then I will apply for OSF's nursing program. This is a path I never would have chosen on my own. I always saw myself graduating from ONU, but God is opening doors and Lord help me if I do not obey.
Some of you know that Mike is moving home at Christmas time and will be going to ICC to complete a medical degree as well. For no reason am I moving home because of our relationship or because "we just couldn't stand to be away from one another". Someone texted me a few days ago asking me if I was moving home because Mike asked me to marry him ...haha. All I can do is giggle.
So for all of you who have been confused by a status I have posted recently, or have heard of my crazy plans, this is what God is doing in my life at the moment. Stay tuned for further updates... who knows…everything could change tomorrow;)
Wow! You are amazing! I can't wait to see what God does in and through you...If I could choose any girl in the world to be my daughter, I would choose you over and over again. Look out, world, here she comes! XO Mom
ReplyDelete