It has been ages since I have posted a blog and I have recently felt nudged
to begin writing again. So, I am blowing off the dust and cleaning out the
cobwebs inside my old blog. I am excited/nervous about penning my journey and
sharing it with anyone who wants to read (which may not be anyone except
myself!). Writing has always come a bit easier then trigonometry or balancing
chemical compounds, so my therapist recently encouraged me to begin writing on
a more personal note. In a sense this is more for me than you, but if I offer
insight along the way, then that makes my heart do a little dance.
In the process of rearranging my old blog, I decided to rename the whole
thing. 'Experiencing Turbulence' seems to be the story of my life. One of my
favorite things to do is travel. It may be a daytrip with my mom, or a week long
excursion with my youth group; I love going new places! My favorite, favorite,
favorite trip {ever} was to Denver, Colorado. I traveled with a dear group of
friends last summer. Our flight left Chicago and when flying over Iowa and into
Nebraska we experienced some of the most severe turbulence I have ever felt in
my life. My Sprite came close to taking a tumble several times (going to the
bathroom wasn't even an option!) Turbulence is caused by random, chaotic air
pockets caused by changes in air pressure. In fact, there are all sorts of
types of turbulence such as wake turbulence, mountain wave, and wind shear.
Typically the flight attendant announces that turbulence is to be expected and
for passengers to remain seated and buckle up; hence the saying, "hold on
tight, it's to be a bumpy ride".
My flight to Denver is not the only time I've
experienced such chaotic bumpiness. Actually, I think that I experience it on a
daily basis. I am quickly learning that as a 21 year old college student, life
is never what I expect it to be. Life has never been a smooth flight. What I
mean, is that life has been very easy in a sense. I have a happy family, I have
great friends, I have a wonderful church. But upon entering my college years, no
one announced that turbulence was to be expected and I should buckle up and
hold on! Plainly put, I learned that life is never what I expect it to be. For
example, three years ago at this time, I had no clue what I wanted to do with
my life or any direction for that matter. I was spiraling into the darkest time I have
walked in my short two decades of life. {I will touch on that a little later.}
In a big honkin' nutshell, my life is full of
turbulent situations. When flying to various destinations I never really
consider the fact that things could go really wrong and I might not make it to
my set location. I fully trust that the trained pilot will land the aircraft
safely and I will be on my merry way. On my journey of life, I am BEYOND
confidant that I know I will land safely to my destination.
Through all of this mumble jumble, I welcome you
aboard to this crazy, insane, unmarked, turbulent expedition called life. I am
ready to share with all of you bits and pieces of my heart, my reality of life.
I want to share with
you this verse from Philippians 4. I don't have time to explain it or give the
background information about it (that will give YOU something to do!) "I've
learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I’m just as happy
with little as with much, with much as with little. I’ve found the recipe for
being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have,
wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
I don’t mean that your help didn’t mean a lot to me—it did. It was a beautiful
thing that you came alongside me in my troubles."

No comments:
Post a Comment